Founded by partners Nolen Strals and Bruce Willen in 2007, Post Typography has grown into a staff of six occupying a converted rowhouse in Central Baltimore. We take our work seriously, but ourselves not so much. We are looking for a Producer / Project Manager to join our team and help us build a more nimble, efficient, and accomplished design practice.
The Producer will manage Post Typography’s clients and projects to ensure the big-picture view of how all our projects are managed and how the current workload, collectively and individually, impacts Post Typography and our budgets, resources, schedules, responsiveness, client satisfaction etc. Must be organized, detail-oriented, multi-tasker and self-motivated with strong written and verbal communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills. 1-3 years experience in a similar “command central” project management or producer role within a creative environment, with particular expertise and passion in people, budget, and schedule management. Graceful under pressure, yet comfortable in the “bad guy” role. Some experience or interest in some new business development responsibilities and proposal writing a plus, but not required.
- Full time or part-time (30 hours/week minimum)
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Meeting Commitment: 20%
- Billable Efficiency: 60%
- Updated: 10/21/2016
The Producer will manage Post Typography’s clients, projects, staff and strategic partners to ensure the big-picture view of how all our projects are managed and how the current workload, collectively and individually, impacts Post Typography and our budgets, resources, schedules, responsiveness, client satisfaction etc.
Organized, detail-oriented, multi-tasker, and self-motivated. Strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills. 1-3 years experience in a similar “command central” project management or producer role within a creative environment with a particular expertise and passion in people, budget, and schedule management. Graceful under pressure, yet comfortable in the “bad guy” role. An eye for good design is a plus.
Client Management (30%)
- Write, manage, and negotiate schedules, change orders, status reports and any other necessary documents required by client, with the partners’ approval and input. Issue weekly status updates, as needed, to clients.
Direct management of all client relationships to ensure client satisfaction from project initiation through to completion and subsequent postmortems.
Schedule all client-related meetings/calls.
Attend any necessary client meetings and calls, if appropriate.
Obtain and coordinate any necessary deliverables (content, imagery, etc) and approvals from clients throughout project.
Proofread own work and ensure accuracy of content. Also help proof all studio work not as a professional proofreader, but as a fresh eye.
Project and Resource Management (40%)
- Research and identify the best, simplest, and appropriate project management tools, systems and processes to support our studio. Train & manage Post Typography team (including new hires) on these tools, systems, and processes to ensure consistency of usage and efficiencies.
- Develop and maintain responsive internal communications and project-management process and tools that accommodate for size/scope and strategic importance of project/client.
- Schedule, organize and lead weekly staff meeting and billing meetings.
- Create, maintain and distribute master job list for staff meeting.
- Work in partnership with Nolen and/or Bruce to assign billable and non-billable projects to internal staff and external strategic partners or contractors, based on project budget, skill and availability.
- Create and distribute internal schedules and monitor/track staff and out-of-house resources to meet schedule.
- Help staff to manage and prioritize their time and projects daily (not micro management but mentoring and skill development of team).
- Work within project management software to access any necessary project management reports (schedules, resource allocation, project-level budgets).
- Keep Nolen and/or Bruce informed and updated on status of project and client-related issues on daily basis.
- Ensure staff and out-of-house resources provides timely updates (either at the weekly meeting or daily) on changes to project scope, expectations and deliverables that may impact schedule, budgets and require change orders.
- Expedite all rush jobs and troubleshoot, as needed.
- Help staff on sourcing, scheduling, and negotiating rights and fees for stock and commissioned images, illustrations and photo shoots.
- Assist staff with sourcing materials and production requirements.
- Manage strategic partners and resources (e.g. printers, stock agencies, illustrators, photographers, writers, freelancers).
- Issue contractor agreements to all external strategic partners and contractors.
- Approve all vendor invoices and prepare project invoices for Nolen and/or Bruce’s final approval. Provide to bookkeeper to enter into system.
New Business Development (20%)
- Review historical records of similar projects to determine project fees for new business proposals.
- Work with strategic partners (writers, developers, strategists, etc.) to negotiate their fees and services on each new project/relationship.
- Write, manage and negotiate project proposals and contracts. With training, transition to primary contact with clients related to submitting, refining and negotiating final fees, proposals and contracts.
- Help Nolen and/or Bruce with identifying/researching promotional and new business opportunities (potential prospects) that align with studio’s positioning.
- Reaches out to potential prospects and connectors to nurture new relationships and schedule face-to-face meetings with Nolen and/or Bruce to introduce firm (this role is less focused on “sales” but helping Post Typography build new relationships).
- Stays abreast of local industry and client-facing opportunities and attends these events, when possible, to continually promote the studio.
- Help Nolen and/or Bruce, team, and strategic partners write and update social media and website with current projects and news.
General Studio Responsibilities (10%)
- Review Nolen and/or Bruce’s, staff, and contractor time sheets on a weekly basis to ensure submission and accuracy (e.g. that both billable and non-billable time is accounted for and that time has been applied accurately and realistically to each job).
- Enter own billable and non-billable hours accurately in time-keeping system (complete daily before leaving, hours must total all hours worked).
- Attend and contribute honest input during performance reviews and monthly one-to-ones with Nolen and/or Bruce to ensure own professional development and define and understand yearly and quarterly personal goals.
- Check and respond to phone and email messages daily (all written communication, including emails, should be professionally written and without spelling/grammatical errors).
- Lead yearly office-wide clean up and ensure studio space is best leveraged for employees and is continually organized.
- Attend and help organize studio events (happy hours, field trips)
- Keep staff updated on industry-wide events (lectures, conferences).
- Manage and organize sample files of work completed.
- Manage competition entries, obtain, complete, and track related entries.
- Manage and oversee all sick, late, and vacation days of entire team and monitor adherence to policies and procedures manuals.
- Support Post Typography’s overall culture, values, and mission.
- Contribute to environment that is efficient, professional, proactive, collaborative, and team oriented.
- Must be up for semi-regular trips to minigolf.